Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Apologetics - not so much

I believe in God. I know some of you might be shocked by that. I can be rather flippant and irreverent here. Personally, I think God has a fantastic sense of humor. After all, he created mine, right? This post, however, should not be blamed on God. Whether thought provoking or complete gibberish, this whole thing can all be blamed on Aimee's son Declan and his Church of Suspenders. And for the record, I would totally go to that church.

I wanted to be a pastor for many years (until I ran face first into church politics and fuck that hurt) but I do not practise Apologetics* and I am not a bible literalist. My faith is very much a part of who I am, the way I behave, the choices I make; for good or bad. My children and I talk about faith and God and the way we live our lives all the time.

Some things I believe:

  • I don't have all the answers
  • Everyone should be respected, no matter what they believe (or don't believe)
  • A person's belief should be based on their own exploration and decisions,
    not based on what Mom and Dad told them they have to believe.
  • Wine is a gift from God and should be enjoyed often (this one might be my favorite)

Thing1 is going to youth group with a friend tonight who attends a Christian/Jewish church. I think that is a very cool concept and I totally want to hear what they have to say. I want to go! I wasn't invited. Tomorrow, he'll share with me and I'll learn something. I can't wait!

...
Crap, the phone rang and now I have no idea where I was going with this post. I doubt the shiny things distraction will work two days in a row. How about this:

Declan, this boys needs to be saved-


*Apologetics -n. (used with a sing. verb)
1. The branch of theology that is concerned with defending or proving the truth of Christian doctrines.
2. Formal argumentation in defense of something, such as a position or system.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

sounds like my kind of church too!
except, i don't like wine, but I am sure I can find a way that God made beer too!