Thursday, September 16, 2010

The truth about grown up dating

From a review of "The Office":

It’s like—last period on Fridays in junior high, I’m sitting in social-studies class, and I’m trying not think about it. The bell is going to ring in 10 minutes, the weekend is ahead of me, and that’s good, but during the weekend, I won’t see her for two whole days, and if I don’t try and do something now, I’ll spend all my time off feeling like a coward. The teacher is explaining about checks and balances, and every part of me is squeezing in this crooked, miserable way, like I’m getting ready to vomit organs, muscles, bones. Not good, thinking about vomit right now, really not helping. Five minutes. I can’t breathe so great anymore, and I can actually taste my tongue in my mouth like some rotting toad. She’s wearing jeans today. She’s smiling at something, and later on, when I remember this, I’ll try and pretend she was smiling at me. The bell rings, my feet forget my shoes aren’t glued to the floor, but finally I make it out of my chair, through the door, there are the lockers. Be, y’know, casual. Say something cool. Say something a real person would say. My locker is on the right, I don’t forget the combination, the hallway is the last chance because then it’s the busses and the ride home and the jocks who kick the seat behind me and the shame of chickening out one more time. But I go up to her, and she’s saying something to a friend, and I wait, I actually manage to stand there and not die. Finally, she looks at me. I had dialogue planned. There was a script. I manage, “Hiwouldyouliketogooutsometime?” Not good. Not good.

And she gets that… look. If a door had an expression when you shut it, that’s the look she’s wearing. The handful of seconds between her features shifting 30 degrees politer and her opening her mouth aren’t long, exactly. They just never stop happening. Simple as that.



That is a perfect description of what it felt like to be 13 16 20 31 me yesterday. On-line dating feels exactly like junior high, only with more baggage and a later curfew (I was going to say fewer zits but let's face it, that would be a lie). Should I email him? All the dating advice I read says things like he should be the one to pursue you, don't give up your power too quickly, men love the chase... I could just favorite him so he knows I'm interested and then see if he responds. What about a wink? I could wink but then he could just wink back and I'm still stuck with writing the introductory email.

Fuck it!

Hi, my name is Sassy. Would you like to get into my pants chat some time?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE BEING PURSUED...sometimes i think the lines are too unclear with online dating.

He maybe looking at your hot ass picture and thinking he has no chance with you...so make the first attempt and THEN let him chase.

That's my vote.

Илья said...

Весело всегда piter-indi.com