Sunday, December 2, 2007

Feeling out of sorts

I drove by a car accident on the way to work the other day. I would have talked about this sooner but I needed some time to process. A car had rear-ended a school bus. With kids on it. I saw it happen. A woman in her cute zippy little Mazda something ran a stop sign right into the back end of the bus on the other side. Truthfully, a lot of people run that particular stop sign. It’s the only stop sign on a slightly suburbanized country road. There have been many times I’ve done the “Oh Crap” and had to hit my brakes pretty hard to make the stop. You’re cruising along and thinking about whatever and it just pops up out of nowhere. BUT, a school bus doesn’t just pop up out of nowhere. In fact it’s big and yellow and rather hard to miss unless you are completely not looking. The road is flat and straight there. He was fully stopped with his sign out. She was not flying along at 70. She was probably going 30, at the most. So, she had lots of time to see the bus.
What. The. Hell.
No one was hurt. The kids actually thought it was pretty cool (harumf!!!!). The bus had one small scratch on it. Her car was smooooshed. And she was freaking out about it. She was not freaking out about the fact that she hit the bus. She was freaking out about the damage to her car. From what I saw, she didn’t even go up to any of the kids to see if they were ok.
I wanted to BEAT her. Still do.

2 comments:

Swistle said...

I'll go with you. We can totally take her.

SP said...

Oooh, you're gonna be a bad influence, I can tell.
SWEET!!